Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thai Basil Chicken

I have a feeling that I'll be cooking this one up again really soon!  It was a hit with my hubby and took such a short amount of time to make.  Our only complaint (which I'm not even sure if I'd call it that since we were able to adjust the recipe very easily) was that it wasn't spicy enough.  If you also prefer your thai dishes on the spicy side then you may want to consider revising the recipe as we did.

INGREDIENTS:
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1x2 inch pieces
2 TBSP Asain fish sauce
1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP water
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 TBSP cooking oil (I used olive oil, but I'm sure any kind would be fine)
1 large onion, cut into thin slices (It seems like a lot, but they cook down significantly)
1/4 tsp dried red-pepper flakes (I increased this to somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 tsp)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C lightly backed basil leaves (plus a few more if you want to garnish)
***Opitional ingredient: Chili garlic sauce (that was my husbands idea and it worked VERY well! Good job hubby!)

DIRECTIONS:
1.) In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the fish sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar.  In a large nonstick frying pan or a wok, heat the oil over Med-High heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.  Stir in the chilies and garlic; cook, stirring for another 30 seconds longer.
2.)  Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add it to the hot pan.  Cook until almost done.  Add the remaining marinade and finish cooking the chicken.  Remove from heat and stir in the basil.  Serve topped with additional basil if desired.
*** I served this over steamed jasmine rice and topped with some chili garlic sauce (that should get the heat going in your mouth if the red pepper flakes just arent enough for you) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment