Thursday, October 20, 2011

Beef Tips & Noodles

The first and only time I've ever had beef tips & noodles was when I was about 14 years old.  My mom used to manage a local resturant and I remember being there one afternoon and the resturant was filled with this amazing aroma.  I told her whatever I was smelling, thats what I wanted to eat.  And a few minutes later, she brought me out a plate of beef tips & noodles.  I rememberthat it tasted just as incredible as it smelled.  So it was a very exciting moment for me last night when my kitchen started filling up with that familiar, yummy aroma.  And if your wondering, yes, it tasted just as good as I had remembered!!!

This dish took about two and a half hours to prepare.  I plan to try it in my crockpot the next time around.  The last step of the recipe tells you to mix one cup of water with a packet of dry brown gravy mix, I think next time I will leave that step out.  I had a taste just before I added it and I honestly think that the gravy didn't do anything for the taste besides maybe dilute the flavors a little.

INGREDIENTS:
3 TBSP veg. oil
1 onion, chopped
2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
Cornstarch
2 C water
1/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 (.75 oz) packet dry brown gravy mix - I'm going to say this is optional
1 C water (if you leave the gravy out, then you will also want to leave out this additional water)
1/4 C red wine (optional) I used the red wine...I love cooking with wine!

DIRECTIONS:
1.) Place about a half a cup of cornstarch in a large mixing bowl.  Place the stew meat on top.  With your hands or mixing spoon coat dried stew meat completely.  Place the meat in a collander and shake off any excess.  Set aside
2.) In a large skillet heat oil over high heat.  Saute the onion and garlic until almost translucent. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3.) Add the stew meat to the skillet (and a little more oil if needed).  Cook on high heat until meat is browned on all sides; about 3-5 minutes
4.) Pour 2 cups water, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce into the skillet.  Stir in salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  cover and simmer for 1.5-2 hours
5.) Meanwhile combine the gravy mix with 1 cup water.  During the last 30 min. of simmering add the gravy mix into the meat mixture.  Bring to a boil stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
***I had used 3/4 C water 1/4 C red wine with the gravy.  Next time I will omit the gravy and the water and just add the red wine during the last thirty mintues.  The original recipe did not include the cornstarch step, adding this step in thickens the sauce on its own, therefore leaving the gravy out would not mean that your meat mixutre would be thin***
Serve over a plate of egg noddles.  Rice or mash potatoes would work well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment