Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oven Baked Chimichangas and/or Brown Bagged Burritos

When I was a kid, whenever we had left over meat mixture from stir-fry my mom would roll it up into burritos and deep fry them.  She would then wrap them up individually and freeze them. We'd pop them in the micro for a few minutes and walla...they were the BEST quick meals I can remember having!!! (Not to mention the worst as far as calorie count!!!)  I recently came across two seperate recipes and combined with my fond food memory I was inspired to create this meal.  I've been told that a good cook never lets anything go to waste, so I was determined to use up two NY steaks that we had leftover from a BBQ a couple days before.  I then remembered the two recipes I've been saving and thought...hey, why don't I just incorporate all of this together?!?!? So I took my meat, through it in a sauce creation, added some beans and cheese, baked them (which made a DOZEN!!), and with the leftover chimichangas I froze them! They'll make the perfect weekday lunch for when I head back to work!  Keep in mind that you don't have to follow my recipe for this meat mixture, there are SO many possibilites to this recipe.  You can use just about any type of leftover meat for this! (I just happened to use steak) Oh...also I made a few that were beans and cheese only for my son. :)

INGREDIENTS:
2 BBQ'd NY steaks; cut into small cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic; minced
1/2 onion; chopped
1 1/3 C enchilada sauce (I used red, green would be yummy too I'm sure!)
1 can chopped green chilies (4 oz)
1/8 tsp chili powder
garlic salt (as much or as little as you'd like)
1/4 tsp oregeno
2 cans of refried beans
3-4 C Mexican blend cheese (or shred half Monterey Jack and half Medium Sharp Cheddar like I did)
12 burrito sized flour tortillas

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the steaks into small cubes.  In a preheated skillet, reheat steak cubes in the minced garlic and chopped onion.  Add the enchilada sauce, chopped green chilies, chili powder, oregeno, and garlic salt.  Simmer on Med/low for 20-30 minutes.  In a saucepan heat up the refried beans.  When those are ready spoon meat filling off center on each tortilla.  Top with beans and cheese.  Fold sides and end over filling and roll up.  Place burritos on a foil lined cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  (I had to use two cookie sheets to accomidate all 12 burritos.) Bake for 8 minutes, turn and bake an additional 5 minutes.

TO FREEZE:
Place burritos on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.  Once they are cooled wrap in a paper towel and then in foil.  Transfer your wrapped burritos to a resealable plastic freezer bag.  They will stay good for up to two months.

TO USE FROZEN BURRITOS:
Unwrap foil.  Place paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave safe plate.  Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.  Let sit for a minute then eat!!
I had one of these for lunch today, and I must admit...it tasted better today reaheated than it did last night for dinner!  I love when leftovers taste that good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment