Friday, January 18, 2013

Mexican Tortilla Rolls


I am very proud of this photo.  It looks like a true food blogger photo, don't you think?

Appetizers are something I struggle with due to the fact that I don't like to try anything new on people unless I have tried it for myself.  Pretty understandable, right?  Appetizers are not something I typically make at home just because.  So if I don't make appetizers at home but I need one to bring to a party, how am I supposed to know what to make???  I usually end up bringing the same things over and over. So, last weekend I took a leap of faith and I decided to use a recipe that I had never made before to bring to my sisters shindig.  To my surprise, it turned out great!  My version ended up looking much like the one that came with the recipe, which I thought was a good sign.  And it tasted exactly like I expected it to. Yummers!


4 thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can Ro-tel diced tomatoes, drained
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1C Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tsp. ancho chili powder, divided
1 tsp. cumin, divided
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
6 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
6 wraps (I used the Mission brand Jalapeno Cheddar flavor)

In a small bowl mix the salt, half of the cumin, and 1 tsp of the ancho chili powder.  Sprinkle the seasoning mix onto the chicken breasts.  Place the chicken to a skillet and add about 1 cup of water. Cover and cook on med-high until it is cooked through adding more water if necessary. Once the chicken is cooked, cool slightly and chop into small pieces. (You can also shred it with two forks, but I find that chopping it up small works just as well and is a much faster process)

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, drained tomatoes, cheese, remaining spices, garlic, cilantro and green onions. Mix together well. Add cooled chicken and stir together until combined.
Lay out the wraps and divide mixture evenly in the center of each. Spread into a thin layer leaving the edges clean. Roll each wrap tightly leaving the ends free. Use a sharp knife to cut into 1" thick slices.  Place onto a serving dish.  Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
*The ends of the roll will likely come unraveled, you can discard them or enjoy them for yourself! :)

Recipe adapted from: homeiswheretheholmansare.blogspot.com







No comments:

Post a Comment