Monday, January 7, 2013

Champurrado



 My most brilliant ideas usually come to my me when I'm on the verge of sleep.  Yesterday, which happened to be a Sunday,  was a very wet and soggy day.  My husband and I had already agreed that if it was raining in the morning we would skip church since we drive over an hour round trip to get our family there.  Just as the sun was barely peeking out I heard raindrops and I knew what that meant.  A lazy day at home.  The gears in my head started clicking away and then it hit me...Champurrado!!!

 My first encounter with this sweet, warm, Mexican chocolate-corn beverage was about a year and a half ago while on a food tour in San Francisco.  Our tour guide was kind enough to share with some of us his favorite recipe for this drink.  Since then, it has been one of our favorite drinks on cold, wet mornings.  Upon making this recipe you may notice its grainy texture and you may choose to strain it. However, I prefer the chunks :)
* NOTE:  The recipe that follows has been revised from the original recipe that was given to me, but I assure you, its very tasty!

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c instant corn masa flour mixed with 1/3 C hot water
1 1/2 water
1 (3-inch piece) of canela (cinnamon stick)
3 C whole milk
3 oz. of Mexican chocolate tablets, chopped ( or six wedges)
1/3 C brown sugar
2 tsp dark molasses

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the fresh masa mix with 1 1/2 C of water and the 3-inch piece of canela (cinnamon sitck) in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble.

This is called a molinillo which is a Mexican wooden whisk.  It can be very helpful when preparing champurrado or other hot Mexican beverages.  I purchased one while on the Mexican food tour...I love it!

Stir with a molinillo (or a whisk) until it begins to bubble.  Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together until everything is melted and blended together. Discard the canela.  Strain if desired.  Serve in mugs.  Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment