Monday, January 7, 2013

Carmelitas


I can still remember my very first encounter with a Carmelita... it was love at first bite.  I was out to lunch with a friend at a lovely, little, bakery cafe.  Since I was being good and ordered the "Executive Chef Salad" (don't let the word "salad" fool ya, I am sure that salad has just as many calories as a big mac!) I decided I'd treat myself to something sweet.  The Carmelita caught my eye since its filled with  ooey gooey caramel and lots of chocolate, two of my most favorite things. :)  It took only one bite and I knew that I had just tasted the very best thing ever created!!!  Words cannot express how AMAZING these things are.  I can tell you, that my taste buds do a little dance every time I eat one.  After I made this recipe, I ate a third of the pan. By myself.  In less than 24 hours.  :)

INGREDIENTS:

32 caramel squares
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
3/4 C melted butter
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1 C all purpose flour
1 C quick oats
1 tsp. baking soda
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (half of a bag)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and whisk together until caramels are completely melted and the mixture is smooth. In a medium bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Flatten half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan. Bake for 8- 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crust. Pour the caramel mixture over the chocolate chips and crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the caramel. Place the pan back into the oven and bake for another  15-20 minutes. Remove when the edges appear to be lightly browned. Allow to cool completely before cutting.  Store at room temperature.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment