Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

(What an amateur photo, gee...I wonder who took it!? hehehe ;))

When I was nine years old my mom let me invite a boy over for dinner for the first time.  His name was Michael.  We were neighbors and we were in the same fourth grade class.  I can still remember that he wore a button-up shirt with a collar.  He arrived to my house late and he brought with him two pink carnations.  One for me, and the other for my mom.  (Impressive!)

That night, Michael had his first encounter with Rice-a-Roni.  I was completely shocked that he had never before tasted the San Francisco treat!  He raved about how much he loved it and told us how he was going to ask his mom to make it for him at home. I can still remember us standing in the kitchen while I sang the Rice-a-Roni jingle to him.  It wasn't too long before Michael became my very first boyfriend. 

So there you have it...the best kept secret and the key to a mans heart is simply through a box of Rice-a-Roni!  Who knew?! ;)


Aside from the poor photo provided, this bisque was AMAZING!  Would you believe me if I told you that it only took thirty minutes from start to finish!? Now that's my kind of fast food!
 
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
1 small onion, chopped
1 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 C water
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 TBSP chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
fresh cilantro, chopped
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
In a small saucepan, sauté the onion in the oil until tender.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.  Stir in the flour until well blended.  Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and cover, simmer for 5 minutes.  Cut half of the shrimp into small pieces.  Add the shrimp to the soup.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes longer or until all of the shrimp turn pink.  Place the Greek yogurt in a small bowl and gradually stir in 1/2 C of the hot soup.  Return the Greek yogurt mixture to the pan while stirring it constantly.  Heat through, but do not boil.  Top with cilantro.  Enjoy!

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment