Friday, November 11, 2011

Mexican Chicken & Tomato Soup

This is not an authentic "Mexican" soup, but it is still an oldie but goodie in our household.  It works wonderfully for a cold night, middle of the week meal.  I believe the original recipe was called "tortilla soup", but I never called it that since I never served it with the tortilla chips and cheese as the original recipe notes.  I feel the soup goes better by itself or the broth can be decreased and it goes really well over a plate of steamed white rice.  This recipe uses a lot of canned products, so if your not a fan then this recipe isn't for you.  I suppose you can make it happen purely from scratch, but then it wouldn't be "quick and easy"! :)  Avocado slices are a nice addition to this dish, but I wasn't able to find any at the grocery store last night that were ready to be cut into.  (I hate it when that happens!!!)

INGREDIENTS:
2 cooked chicken breasts; shredded
2 cans Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can chopped green chillies
1 onion chopped
1 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp cumin
2 limes; juiced
2 cans fat free chicken broth

DIRECTIONS:
Sprinkle the cumin over the shredded chicken in a large pot; mix to coat completely.  Add all other ingredients.  Bring to a boil, simmer 20 min.  This can be served in bowls with tortilla chips and cheese, alone or over steamed rice.

recipe from my lovely Aunt Mari!

No comments:

Post a Comment