Monday, November 28, 2011

Bangin' Bacon and Cheddar Scones

These scones were most definitley bangin'! My husband suggested that we sell this recipe to starbucks because they go perfectly with a strong cup of coffee.  Unfortunatly, this isn't our recipe to sell :( I am sure I will make these again, they'd work great for a brunch! And I loved them even more because I was able to use up the rest of the homemade bacon bits that I had leftover from that Thanksgiving dish I made,  as well as some cheddar and green onions I had hanging out in the fridge. :)

INGREDIENTS:
3 C self rising flour, plus more for work surface
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 C cold butter
1 1/2 C grated sharp cheddar
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 1/4 C buttermilk
1 large egg, for egg wash
1 TBSP coarse sea salt (I just used kosher)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Add the flour, salt, and pepper to a large bowl.  With a box grater, grate the butter into the flour. (or you can use a pastry blender for this).  Mix the butter into flour with your hands until well incorporated.  Add the cheese, green onion and crumbled bacon.  Mix until evenly distributed.  Add the buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a stiff dough.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle (or a circle as I did) 1/2 inch thick.  Cut wedges of dough out to preferred scone size and arrange on a half sheet tray lined with parchment paper.  In a small bowl, beat the egg and brush each schone withthe egg wash.  Sprinkle with a little coarse sea salt and bake until nicely browned, about 14 to 16 minutes.  Remove from the oven and arange on a serving plater.

recipe is from foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment