Friday, March 1, 2013

Thai Lettuce Wraps




I have a few recipes lined up for the blog, but after I made these Thai Lettuce Wraps Wednesday night, I allowed the recipe to have priority and let it cut in line to be debuted on the blog first.  They were that good!! We had a very colorful dinner that night, it was also the night that I made the Roasted Purple Potatoes.

During my search for lettuce wrap recipes, I stumbled across one that seemed pretty straight forward, but it called for the use of Kikkoman Stir Fry Sauce, which I have never used.  When I found the bottle on the grocery store shelf my first thought was I don't need all that sauce, maybe only a quarter of the bottle.  It seemed like such a waste of money to buy the whole bottle when I just needed a smidgen of it.  So what did I do?  I read the ingredients on the back of the bottle. Hey, I already have all that in my cupboards! (Minus the junky crap), I thought. So I snapped a picture of the ingredients on the bottle and headed to the check out, sans the stir fry sauce.

(proof)
 
And using the provided picture, I created my very own stir fry sauce.  Which was pretty darn tasty if I must say!  Another proud kitchen moment for me! 
 
I have a feeling that I'll be making this recipe often when the weather warms up.  Its quick and easy and with all that lettuce and carrots, I felt like I was eating something super healthy.  (Actually, I felt more like a rabbit!)
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
Stir Fry Sauce:
 
1/3 C low sodium soy sauce
1.5 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. corn starch
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 TBSP sherry
 
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 C chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 C cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 carrot
green leaf or iceberg lettuce leaves
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
In a small bowl, whisk together all the stir fry sauce ingredients.  Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Turn heat down and allow to simmer for three minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside.   In a wok or large skillet, stir fry the ground pork with the onion and garlic until the pork is no longer pink.  Drain.  Place the meat back into the pan and stir in the stir fry sauce making sure to coat the meat thoroughly.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sesame oil and cilantro.  Peel the outer skin off of the carrot, after its peeled, use the peeler to peel long strips of the carrot to top the meat mixture with.  Serve in lettuce leaves.  ENJOY!
 
***An after thought...I should have added red pepper flakes! Next time, for sure!***
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment