Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Oatmeal Cake



This has got to be thee best dessert that I've made since I made these.  I think its safe to say that I read new recipes on a daily basis, and sometimes I come across one that MUST BE MADE IMMEDIATELY! That occurred when I read this recipe.  By the sounds of it and from the picture that came with the recipe it seemed that it would be much like German Chocolate cake (which I am a big fan of).  And it actually is a lot like German Chocolate cake, but with an extremely moist, oatmealy spice cake.  It is so, so good! Now, this cake makes a 9X13, so be prepared to share!!  :)

INGREDIENTS:

CAKE:                           
1 1/4  C boiling water                                 
1 C old fashioned oatmeal, raw                           
1/2  C butter, softened                           
1 C sugar                           
1 C brown sugar, packed firmly                           
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract                           
1 1/2 C flour                            
1 tsp. baking soda                           
3/4 tsp. cinnamon 
1/2 tsp. salt                           
1/4 tsp. nutmeg 

TOPPING: 

1/2 C butter
2 C coconut
1 C walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed firmly
9 TBSP evaporated Milk

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Pour the boiling water over the oatmeal and allow to sit for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs. Next, add the vanilla and the oatmeal mixture. Then add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and the nutmeg. Mix well.  Place in greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 For the topping: In a medium saucepan over medium heat,   melt the butter and add the coconut, walnuts, brown sugar, and evaporated milk. Mix well. Frost cake as soon as you take it out of the oven, and broil until the top is brown. (Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn!!)  Allow to cool completely before serving.  ENJOY!!
                       
                                                            
                                                      
                           
                          
                          

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. OMG I know, I finally had to throw it out because I couldn't stop eating it!

      Delete
  2. Can I use steel cut oats? Or do you use quaker oats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I haven't tried, I don't think that steel cut oats would work well in this recipe. Old fashioned oats such as quaker oats cook much faster and are able to absorb the hot liquid well without being boiled the way steel cut oats need to be. Steel cut oats may possibly change the texture of the cake as well giving it a grainy/coarse feel. Hope that helps! I really really LOVE this cake. If you make it let me know how you like it. :)

      Delete