Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken Teriyaki

 
 
Crock pot meals are not my favorite.  I love that they are so quick and easy to throw together, but I feel that flavor and texture are sometimes compromised when preparing a meal in a crock pot.  A friend recently suggested to me a recipe for Chicken Teriyaki made in a crock pot.  It sounded yummy and simple, but after a recent crock pot failure of mine, I just couldn't stand the thought of another!  So I slightly altered the ingredients and came up with my own version of the recipe using the good ol' trusty stove instead of my crock pot.  The boys loved it a lot and it took less than thirty minutes to throw together.  I served it with steamed jasmine rice and a side of steamed broccoli for a perfect weeknight dinner!
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
1 lb. thin sliced chicken breasts, cubed
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. chicken bullion granules
1 C boiling water
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/3 C brown sugar, packed
1/2 C soy sauce (I use low sodium)
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
3 green onions, chopped
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
In a wok, heat the sesame oil over medium high heat.  Add the cubed chicken breasts and brown on all sides, but not cooking through.  Meanwhile, dissolve the chicken bullion granules in the boiling water and then add to the wok along with the garlic.  Boil the chicken until it is cooked through (5-7 minutes).  In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the soy sauce and add it to the wok along with the brown sugar.  Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for three minutes or until the sauce has thickened.  Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.  Serve with steamed white rice.  ENJOY!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment