Saturday, March 9, 2013

Silver Cleaner

  Waaaay on the bottom of my "to-do" list is an entry that says "buy silver cleaner".  Sadly, it has been on my list for months and consequently for months, I have had several pieces of terribly tarnished jewelry that I have been unable to wear. (well I suppose technically I could, but...you know..ewww!) 

So last weekend I pulled out my favorite necklace that I haven't worn in probably over a year.  My husband bought it for me years ago at the Chocolate festival.  Isn't it lovely? hehehe.

(ick!)
 
The designer hand cut the hummingbird image form a coin, leaving only the image and the rim of the coin in place.  Neat, huh?! Hummingbirds are my fav!
 
 
 
 
In a moment of desperation I googled "how to clean silver"! (Google is amazing!) Here is what I came up with:
 
 
Things you'll need:
 
1 small glass bowl (such as a 1 qt. pyrex)
aluminum foil
2tsp. salt
2tsp. baking soda
2 C boiling water
tarnished silver jewelry (preferably free of stones or gems. Beware that if your pieces are only silver lined that the effervescent action can loosen any chips in the silver lining causing even more damage to your piece)
soft cloth
 
 
Steps to take:
 
1) Completely line the bottom and edges of the glass bowl with aluminum foil.  
2) Sprinkle in the salt and baking soda
3) Pour in the boiling water
4) place your silver pieces inside. (make sure they are touching the foil, and if you are doing more than one piece, make sure they are touching each other)
5) wait 5 minutes.
6) Remove silver pieces, rinse with water, and buff with a soft towel.
 
After!
 
Major difference, right?!  This discovery really made my day.  So glad I can cross that off of my to-do list now! :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment