Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread

I had planned to make cornbread to go with last nights dinner and after pondering about it most of the day (because you know 75% of my thoughts that occur during a day revolve around food! I'm serious.) I decided I wanted to try a different recipe.  I hadn't had a chance to search for one and as I started pulling out ingredients from my cupboards I had a light bulb above my head kinda moment.  Cheese and jalapenos!!! Who doesn't LOVE cheese and jalapenos?!?!  Thankfully I had a jar of jalapenos in my pantry (high five for a well stocked pantry!) and half a block of cheese in the fridge (and a booty bump for that one!!) So here is what I came up with...

INGREDIENTS:
I C milk
1/4 C melted butter
1 large egg
1 1/4 C cornmeal
1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C jarred jalapenos divided (juices drained)
1/2 C cheese divided (I used Monterrey jack because its what I had, but if I had options I would've went with cheddar or even pepper jack)

DIRECTIONS:
Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 8x8x2 in square pan.  Beat milk, butter and egg in a large bowl.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.  If desired, reserve a few jalapenos and a small palmful of cheese for topping. ( If topping the cornbread do so before baking.)    Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and a tooth pick comes out clean.  In my opinion this tastes best when served at room temperature, although its pretty tasty warm too!

No comments:

Post a Comment