Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Beef Bourguignon

 
 
 

 
 
 
Admittedly, I have no idea how to pronounce "bourguignon" or do I even know what it means for that matter.  My guess is that it means something like: divine, beautiful, or simply heavenly.  Sometimes I find a recipe that looks interesting and I hang onto it for months before I finally end up cooking it.  But there are other times, like this time, that I find a recipe and I MUST prepare it immediately.  Trust me, if you happened to see the photo that was printed alongside this recipe (which was featured in the October issue of the Rachel Ray magazine) you wouldn't have hesitated either.  A picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case, it was worth a thousand teeny tiny bursts of the salivary glands.

Another true fact is that the husband and I are not big fans of the traditional beef stew and this recipe is pretty similar to beef stew, but there is just something about this recipe that attracted me.  My guess is that it has something to do with the lack of potatoes called for in the recipe.  Or it may have been the addition of bacon and red wine.  Oh YUM! Those glands are kicking into gear again as I type! I prepared this dish exactly as directed in the original recipe, no alterations needed.  I'm going to do you a favor and stop babbling about it now so that you can head straight into your kitchen to cook it right up!


INGREDIENTS:

2 slices bacon, chopped
1 lb. beef chuck stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 in. cubes
2 C white mushrooms, quartered
3/4 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 in. pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1 C beef stock
3/4 C dry red wine
2 TBSP fresh thyme
salt & pepper
1 small baguette, cut into slices


DIRECTIONS:


In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over med-high heat until crisp, 4 minutes or so.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer into a bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add it to the pot in a single layer.  Cook, stirring, until browned all over, about 8 minutes.  Transfer to a plate.  Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cooked meat, carrots, onion, tomato paste and butter.  Season and cook, stirring, 1 minute.  Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.  Stir in the stock, wine and 1 tbsp. thyme; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to med-low, cover and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce thickens, about 1 1/2 hours.  Stir in the cooked bacon; season.  Divide among bowls, garnish with the remaining thyme and serve with the sliced baguette.  Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment